Monday, August 27, 2012

Weight, Weight! Don't Tell Me! Part 2

Part 1 Here!

Finally I met with my doctor on Monday the 13th YAY!!!

Originally I had waited for almost two hours for him. But he was needed to assist in a surgery and it really could not be helped. I was a bit miffed at the time, but these things happen…
So Monday, I got there right when I was supposed to (drop off by my mother, wonderful woman). And was immediately whisked to the tiny room to see him. I was nervous but tried to keep my cool by re-reading “My Antonia” (which I highly recommend!)

He came in and introduced himself. He came off as a bit brash and very straight to the point.
His first point was that the Lap-band is a tool. Not a magic cure. He explained that I would have to show self restraint and discipline. I nodded vigorously, I had already known this, but I liked that he wasn’t preaching it as an end all be all to my obesity…

He then noted that I was on Medicaid. And said that he makes no money from patients like me. This scared me, I thought that he would tell me that he would not be able to help me (which I understand, but would stink since I had already gone through a lot to get here). He said that he does this for charity, the process will gain him no profit, would not even cover the cost of his staff. But this is something that he wanted to do. He likened it to taking from the rich and giving to the poor. I really liked that analogy.

He said that if I was a responsible patient, came in for meetings with him once a month, did as he ordered, and well just showed some common sense and decency then he had no problem doing this for me and being my doctor. If I was going to miss appointments and flake out and not give a crap basically, then I need to stop wasting his time. (No problemo, Doc!)

I said that that is more than fair, and that his terms were so. He had my word that I would be a good patient because this is something I want so bad.

After we shook hands he left immediately and I was to meet with my advocate after getting my blood drawn.
Upstairs I went to get my lab work processed. The gentleman who took it was so nice, we both complained about a case of the Mondays (I had tried to get off at two different floors that were not my floors, many laughs were had). And I went back down to meet with my advocate again. She ran an EKG on me, which kind of stank mostly because I HATE being without my bra. She then went over everything with me.

Medicaid Criteria:
·         I have a BMI over 40 (43 actually) and hypertension. (Yay? Not really)
·         I will have to be on a 6 month weight loss program with my nutritionist and doctor.
·         Cardiology clearance (passed)
·         Sleep study (I am fairly certain that I do not have sleep apnea, but who knows? I can’t really tell how       well I sleep, but Justin says that I don’t snore or anything)
·         Psychiatric evaluation (kind of scared by this since my new attitude to food but I’ll open that nutshell       here at a different time)
·         EGD (endoscopy, did that)
·         If I have an ulcer (I don’t, yay!)
·         Drug and alcohol screening (none, thank you)

Seems that by Medicaid standards, I am good to go!
Now I found out that Medicaid does not cover three big things, your nutritionist, your psychologist and your Lap-Band adjustments.  

  • In total (my) Nutritionist will cost $400.

Cost
Appointment
150.00
Initial Consult
100.00
1st Group Follow-Up
No Charge
2nd Group Follow-Up
150.00
3rd Group Follow-Up
No Charge
4th Group Follow-Up
No Charge
5th Group Follow-Up
Any food costs will have to also be out of pocket. I may be able to submit my receipts to Medicaid for reimbursement. This appointment will be on the 27th at 8:30am! I am so glad to be able to get the ball rolling! Honestly I can’t wait to talk to her and see what we can do together.

  • In total my Psychologist can cost anywhere from $150.00 to infinity. If we deem it necessary that I only need one appointment then that will be that. If she thinks we need to discuss things further, it will be $50.00 for each group meeting (I can’t be crazy by myself? I have to infect others around me???) I am a bit nervous about this, but I feel that I am in a good place mentally to be doing the Lap-Band.


  • Finally, it will cost $50.00 for each adjustment to my band. My advocate advised me to just bring $50 every time I go and assume that I will need an adjustment each time. (Better safe than sorry really) I was a tad miffed, but what are you going to do? I am not sure how often I will need to go for post-op care, but I will let you know when I find out.


After signing what seemed to be at least 100 pages of consent forms and acknowledgements, we had finished! I told her that since I had a flexible schedule at the moment, I would like to get everything out of the way ASAP. She was happy to hear it and scheduled my EGD and Ultrasound for the day after next (Wednesday).

I would have to be there at 5:45am and not eat or drink anything after midnight. (Fine, I think I can live with that)

NOPE! Chuck Testa! They had to reschedule me for Friday at 8am… I called twice and confirmed. Yep Friday at 8am. Radiology called and asked me a ton of questions. The pre-op nurse called and asked me a ton of questions. A guy named Dave called me and told me that if they had found anything funky going on with my gallbladder that they would be running another test on me that day.

Thursday hits and my appetite had returned with a vengeance rarely seen outside of a Tarintino movie. I wanted something salty and BAD! Two Totino’s three meat pizzas later in the evening, I ceased eating hours before my required time. I was gulping down water realizing how dumb it was to have something so darn salty that day before I can’t drink for most of the day… Not my brightest move…

Part 3 coming soon...
Ponies, EGD's, and Hot Air! Oh my!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment